Except it isn't. It's about my work.
Leading on from Peter Callesen's cutout sculptures, I had an amaterish go myself. I cut a simple figure of a man, loosely based on toilet door signs, you know, these old chestnuts -
- yeah, like them. I've been looking at Gerd Antz, a German graphic designer renowned for his work with woodcuts, creating bold, simple pictograms that would often carry a strong message against political and social hierarchies, and depictions of post-war society . Here's a quick taste:
Moving on... I photographed my result on black again, moving around to experiment with shadows again. Here it is...
I thought he looked a bit lonely, so I added a female toilet door sign to keep him company.
As crude as this "sculpture" may be, I like what I've done. Both with and without the woman, the image suggests there's a story behind it. For example, photographed this way, the image suggests a meeting, but photographed this way...
...it suggests a departure. Well, to me anyway. Especially since the man appears to be hanging his head slightly... I'd like to pretend this was intentional, but it wasn't. This is hardly groundbreaking stuff, but for a quick 10 minute experiment with icons and photography, it was fun and I like what's been produced here.
Dunno if you do.


No comments:
Post a Comment