Monday, 14 March 2011

One for the motherland!

Meet Alexander Rodchenko. A prolific Russian graphic artist active in the early 20th century, and one of my key inspirations... Here's why.

Spacial Construction No. 12 c. 1920


Thinking of creating something like this for my final piece... It fits the theme of repetition nicely I think. May be a bit fiddly to pull off with paper, but I'm sure it's possible. One of the most striking things I find about the second image is the shadow created by the sculpture. I have experimented with the effects that shadows create in my previous work on this module so far, but not to this extent. I get the impression of a controlled explosion from this works, with all the layers of shapes being contained within one square.

Even in Rodchenko's other work, I find inspiration for paper sculptures. His painting Dance. An Objectless Composition, 1915, composed of twists and swirls could be recreated in 3 dimensions, twisting and cutting paper into sculptures.

Dance. An Objectless Composition, 1915

I love Rodchenko, and Russian constructivism. Inspirational to me on so many levels... it's inspired me in so many fields of my work, it was a pleasant surprise to realise that I could relate it to my current work for this assignment. <3

RUSSIA!

No comments:

Post a Comment